Welcome to My Kitchen

My personal blog and an account of my adventures in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mum of my two youngest kids, both teenagers. I have four adult children and four grandchildren with one on the way. We live in country NSW, Australia and we love our country life.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Satay Chicken


600gm skinless chicken breast
(or 6 pork butterfly steaks)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
(I used eschallot because I needed to use them up but they have a more delicate flavour as well)
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp minced garlic
3/4 cup coconut flavoured light evaporated milk
(or plain with 1 tsp coconut essence)

Cut the chicken, or pork, into strips and thread onto twelve wooden kebab sticks.
Coat griddle pan with cooking spray, heat to high and cook chicken skewers, in batches if necessary until browned and cooked through.

While the chicken is cooking, spray a small saucepan with cooking spray and saute the onion and garlic for two minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients.  You might need to whisk it a bit to break up the peanut butter.  Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cook for a few minutes till thickened.  Set aside, sauce will thicken a little more on standing.



Serve chicken skewers with sauce spooned over.  Garnish with some fresh coriander if desired.
Serves 6 @ 6 ProPoints.

Everyone enjoyed this tonight, I think next time I would add more chilli powder or some minced chilli into the sauce.

3 comments:

  1. Dang...this looks good as does all your recipes.
    I just need to get back into my Suzy Homemaker mode....been so long since I've felt like cooking. Thank you muchly...that I have no young ones depending on me for their meals. ;0)
    On my scribbled grocery list I DO HAVE scribbled down the makings for that dish for the salmon. Have a can of that, but filo and skim milk need purchasing.
    THX Trish for taking of your time to offer us these healthy recipes. (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come and eat at your house? Seriously you should share these awesome recipes with the forum! Your so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally visited - love asparagus and the rest looks good too

    ReplyDelete

Kind comments and questions are welcome.