Welcome to My Kitchen

My personal blog and an account of my adventures in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mum of my two youngest kids, both teenagers. I have four adult children and four grandchildren with one on the way. We live in country NSW, Australia and we love our country life.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pea and Ham Soup


2 onions, sliced
300g split peas
1 ham hock
10 cups water
2 carrots, diced
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup diced celery
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbs lemon juice

Put onions, thyme, bay leaf, peas, pepper and ham hock into saucepan with water, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for an hour.
Add carrots and celery and simmer for a further hour.  Remove thyme and bay leaf.  Take out the ham hock and remove the meat, chop and return to the pan.
Add lemon juice.

Serves 4.

This is such an easy and simple soup to make.  If I'm busy I often just put the whole lot in first go and just cook it for a couple of hours.  Also if it's left to sit overnight or for a few hours it tends to thicken up.  The flavour is wonderful with no stock needed, it all comes from the hock and the vegies.  It freezes beautifully.

5 comments:

  1. How much water do you put in it? Pea soup is my favorite. (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes sorry Pat, forgot to put the water quantity in! Fixed now, thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy for our tummy's LOL I have never used a ham hock before I just use reg ham does it make a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What other flavourings do you use in your soup Natalie? For this recipe the ham hock gives most of the flavour. It's a smokey flavour and yes would be very different to using ham, as a lot of flavour comes from anything cooked with a bone in. Trouble is you get the salt as well, although the soup doesn't taste salty but you don't need to add any either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've put liquid smoke in it but the truth is I only have made it twice. I'm afraid my kids wouldn't eat it if they saw the ham hock. Hey woman go to my blog and gt your reward!

    ReplyDelete

Kind comments and questions are welcome.