Welcome to My Kitchen

My personal blog and an account of my adventures in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mum of my two youngest kids, both teenagers. I have four adult children and four grandchildren with one on the way. We live in country NSW, Australia and we love our country life.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Kick Arse Slow Cooker Curried Sausages

I have been searching for a decent "made from scratch" recipe for the old fashioned family dish, Curried Sausages, for years, as opposed to the recipe bases that can be bought in the supermarket.  My mother used to make it with curry powder and *gag* put sultanas and apples in it!  And she wondered why I never liked "curry".  I finally decided to make up my own using curry paste.  For us, it was perfect.


8 good quality sausages of medium thickness (Macs Meats, Junee have the best!)
1/4 cup plain flour
freshly ground black pepper
cooking spray or olive oil
2 carrots, one diced, one cut into rings
2 large potatoes (or 4 small) chopped into chunks
2 onions, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
4 tbs Massaman curry paste
3/4 cup beef stock
green beans, about 100g or more to taste

Put the flour into a plastic bag, season with the pepper and add the sausages and coat with the flour.
Spray pan, or slow cooker insert if suitable, with cooking spray.  If the sausages are very lean (like our wonderful Junee sausages) you may need some olive oil.  Fry in batches till browned, set aside.
Add the vegetables and fry until slightly browned.  Add the curry paste and mix into the vegies and fry until fragrant.


Add the sausages then pour over the stock and mix it in.  Put slow cooker insert into base or add mixture to slow cooker.  I cooked it on low for just five hours and it was enough, you will know your own cooker.  About half way through cut up beans into pieces and add to the cooker.

Serves 4 as a complete meal.
If you cooked this on the stovetop it would only take around 40 minutes until the vegies were fork tender.
You could leave out the potatoes and serve it with rice, but the potatoes add heartiness to the dish and serve to thicken the sauce up a bit.
I didn't photograph the finished dish, will do so next time.




1 comment:

  1. You know my kids are going to love me this winter, the question is will I take the credit or give it all to you? YOU of course!

    ReplyDelete

Kind comments and questions are welcome.