Welcome to My Kitchen

My personal blog and an account of my adventures in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mum of my two youngest kids, both teenagers. I have four adult children and four grandchildren with one on the way. We live in country NSW, Australia and we love our country life.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Weet Bix Slice

This is a healthy slice that travels well for school and work snacks, and is lovely with a cup of tea.  You could even serve it warm with a bit of custard for dessert.  Even though the fat used is reduced fat spread it's still quite a lot, as is the sugar content, so this is a "sometimes" food.

 
 
 
1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
4 crushed Weet Bix (or any wheat breakfast biscuit)
1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 cup sultanas (I'm going to try it with fruit medley too)
6 level tablespoons low fat spread
1 level tablespoon molasses
2 tablespoons skim milk
 
ICING
1 cup icing sugar
1 level tablespoon lemon juice
1 level tablespoon skim milk
 
Preheat oven 180C (fan forced)
Coat a slab tin with cooking spray.  I crush the Weet Bix by putting them in a freezer bag and using a rolling pin.
\
Combine flour, Weet Bix, sultanas and brown sugar.  Melt spread in the microwave for 30 seconds, add the molasses and milk and mix together then pour over the dry ingredients and combine well.
Press into the slab tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned.
 
ICING
Sift the icing sugar and mix with the lemon juice and milk and pour over hot slice.
Leave to cool before cutting into 15 squares, or bigger if preferred.
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to substitute shredded wheat for the Weet Bix, but I thought it came out great! My husband enjoyed it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Kind comments and questions are welcome.