Welcome to My Kitchen

My personal blog and an account of my adventures in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mum of my two youngest kids, both teenagers. I have four adult children and four grandchildren with one on the way. We live in country NSW, Australia and we love our country life.

Friday, January 9, 2015

Chipotle Heaven

The pizza turned out really well, we shared one, but it was a bit too big for the pizza maker and next time we will make two smaller ones.

 On the right is the fresh dough rising, the smaller one is the ball that I froze from last time.  I don't think it freezes very well at all.  The sauce was so easy and tasted better than my usual one, and no cooking, reducing and pureeing.  It was just a tin of crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, dried oregano, chilli flakes and garlic infused extra virgin olive oil.
 I roasted half a butternut pumpkin with some garlic.


I took the meat out of two Italian sausages and fried it.  They were so lean, rendering hardly any fat at all.
It wasn't pretty but it tasted so good.  I fried some sage leaves in butter till they were crispy and they were the perfect finishing touch.  See how the crust didn't brown?  It was just too big for the pizza stone.  It was brown and crispy on the bottom though.

I have seen so many recipes that call for chipotle peppers in adobo sauce but could never find them here.  I was so excited when I was in Perth in September to find some in the food hall in David Jones.  I only bought one can as I was worried about my luggage weight on the plane and had already bought a heap of other things to take home.  After I opened the can I froze the individual chillies in an ice tray and kept them in the freezer.  The first thing I used them for was our favourite pulled beef for tacos and quesadillas.  I fell in love with the smoky, hot flavour it gave to the meat.  So I went on a quest to find out where I could get more and found a Mexican food warehouse in Sydney who sells them and ordered four cans.  They are a different brand to the ones I got in Perth so I hope they're as good.  I have a lot of recipes I want to try.  I also ordered some ancho chilli powder, some chipotle powder and some pasilla powder, which is a chocolately chilli powder.  So I will be having some Mexican fun in the next few weeks.
Phill is at work till Sunday and the kids stayed up all night (again) so I am on my own today.  I think I will drive up to Wombat and get some eggs from the farm.  Then on to Young for some shopping. 

2 comments:

  1. How do you make your pizza dough?
    Bought a pizza stone, but have never made the dough.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always make our pizza dough in the bread maker, so easy, the machine does all the work then we just take it out and divide and roll it. I will post the recipe I use.

      Delete

Kind comments and questions are welcome.