Welcome to My Kitchen

My personal blog and an account of my adventures in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mum of my two youngest kids, both teenagers. I have four adult children and four grandchildren with one on the way. We live in country NSW, Australia and we love our country life.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Pizza Night!

Ordering pizza was my "night off" from cooking, we used to do it at least once a fortnight.  But our regular pizza place got really expensive, and when the new owners took over, the pizzas weren't as good.  We tried another place which were great but then they got taken over by the Greek cafe and the last time we ordered a Napolitana (olives, mushrooms and anchovies) it arrived with two kinds of capsicum, which wasn't so bad, but also chicken!  I hate chicken on a pizza and we picked it off vowing it was the end of our pizza ordering.

We have a pizza oven and often make our own, I make my own dough in the bread maker and I like to make my own sauce, trying to add some vegetable matter for my vegie phobic kids.  They like pepperoni, the boy will have some mushrooms, and they will both have olives and anchovies.  I have discovered however, that pumpkin is delicious on a pizza.  So tonight I will make a different version of sauce inspired by this blog and roast the pumpkin in the oven with a head of garlic and perhaps some zucchini from the garden with a little olive oil.  I will put some fresh sage underneath the cheese, and then top with the vegies, and more sage leaves sauteed in a little butter and some cooked crumbled Italian sausage.

We harvested all of our corn and have it cut into cobettes in the freezer.  I can eat it fresh off the plant, usually standing in the vegie patch!  I'm going to try my hand at making creamed corn, and some Chinese chicken and corn soup.

The tomatoes are slow this year as are the chillis, last year we had to freeze, pickle and give away our chillis.  I am loving having fresh herbs, curly and flat leaf parsley, our abundant sage that comes back year after year in a big concrete pot by the back door, common and lemon thyme, rosemary, chives, oregano, basil and Thai basil, which is my favourite right now, I am putting it into everything.  The coriander bolted, we have never had much luck with that except when we had in the old double laundry tubs under the grape vine pergola in Junee.  The little lemon balm plant I bought is flourishing in a tub also and I have been using that in salads.

So it feels good to be back home on Blogger.  I have missed blogging and now I can combine that with another favourite thing, cooking and experimenting in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind comments and questions are welcome.