Welcome to My Kitchen

My personal blog and an account of my adventures in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mum of my two youngest kids, both teenagers. I have four adult children and four grandchildren with one on the way. We live in country NSW, Australia and we love our country life.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chicken Caesar Salad

Or my version of it. 
Croutons
I baguette (French bread stick) I used about two thirds of a day old loaf, sliced thinly
2 tbs olive oil
2 cloves of garlic or to taste

Mix the oil with the garlic, let it stand for a bit if time permits so the garlic infuses the oil, then lay the bread on a baking tray and pour over the garlic oil and mix them about, turning them to coat.  Bake in a 150C oven for about 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.

Dressing
4 anchovies, patted dry with paper towel
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1 egg
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Coddle the egg by placing it into fast boiling water for a minute, then remove immediately and leave to cool.
Put all the ingredients, except the oil, cracking the coddled egg and scraping out the contents,  into a small food processor and process until smooth.  Gradually add the oil in a slow stream and blend until it thickens and emulsifies.

Salad
1 baby Cos (Romaine) lettuce
4 rashers of bacon, or more!
2 eggs, just hard boiled
Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
Shaved parmesan

Cook bacon until crisp.  Drain and break into pieces.  Hard boil two eggs, cool and quarter.

Chicken
2 chicken breasts, or more if you're hungry
garlic powder
mustard powder
white pepper

Rub chicken breasts with a little garlic powder and mustard powder and sprinkle with white pepper.  Spray a griddle pan with cooking oil spray and char grill, then lower heat and cook through.
When cooked, rest for a few minutes before slicing .  Mine were thick and I didn't pound them so I finished them off in the oven.

Tear lettuce into pieces and put in a serving bowl, top with chicken, grated parmigiano, then add the dressing and toss.  Top with bacon, croutons, eggs and toss again, then top with some shaved parmesan and serve.
I was so nervous about this recipe because I never make up my own, but the family polished it off and said it was great (and I didn't have to pay them this time).  There was none left.  You could use less chicken, or more, no eggs, and no shaved parmesan.  The dressing is the key here.  You could also put the grated parmigiano into the dressing, I sprinkled it onto the salad. 
It really is worth buying the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, it's expensive, but I wrap mine in foil and put it in the freezer and when grated like that, a little really goes a long way.

2 comments:

  1. Damn I need a wife! This looks so good! Please come live with me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll PASS ON those little prickly, hairy things. ;0)

    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete

Kind comments and questions are welcome.