Welcome to My Kitchen

My personal blog and an account of my adventures in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mum of my two youngest kids, both teenagers. I have four adult children and four grandchildren with one on the way. We live in country NSW, Australia and we love our country life.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pumpkin and Tomato Soup


1 cup onions, chopped (about one and a half onions)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3 cups water
2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled (or two tsp chicken stock powder)
480g pumpkin, diced
2 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
chopped parsley or coriander, to serve.
Coat a saucepan with cooking spray, saute the onion until transparent. Add cumin, coriander and nutmeg and heat until aromatic, stirring constantly.
Add water, pumpkin and stock cubes and simmer for ten minutes.
Add tomatoes and simmer a further ten minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Cool a little and process in a blender or processor until smooth.

Serve with a swirl of yoghurt or light sour cream and garnish with fresh coriander or parsley.

Serves 4 @ 0 ProPoints.

This is a recipe that can be tweaked according to your taste.  You could add some crushed or chopped fresh garlic, and cauliflower is great in soups it adds a creaminess that belies its zero points value, just add a bit more water.  This soup freezes and reheats well.

2 comments:

  1. Your pumpkins look different than ours. I can't get fresh pumpkins here at this time of year can I use canned? I had never thought of mixing tomatoes and pumpkin together. Thanks for the new soup idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what type of pumpkin that was Nat. Queensland Blue perhaps. You might call them squash over there, I have heard of butternut squash in the US, which seems the same as our butternut pumpkin. I guess you could use canned pumpkin, but I don't know what else they put in it when they can it. We don't have canned pumpkin here.

    ReplyDelete

Kind comments and questions are welcome.