Welcome to My Kitchen

My personal blog and an account of my adventures in the kitchen. I am a stay at home mum of my two youngest kids, both teenagers. I have four adult children and four grandchildren with one on the way. We live in country NSW, Australia and we love our country life.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Little Beef Wellingtons

These tasty little parcels are an easy alternative to the classic recipe. 

4 fillet steaks
8 button mushrooms
1 tbs butter
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 sheets frozen puff pastry (we use the reduced fat ones)
1 1/2 tbs Gravox (gravy powder)
4 fresh sage leaves
freshly ground black pepper

Slice the mushrooms and cook them in the butter till browned, add the garlic right at the end and turn off the heat, stirring them around before leaving to cool a bit.

Mulch them up with a stab blender or a food processor.  I am in love with my Breville Platinum stick blender set.
Blend till it's a coarse paste type texture.  Then add the gravy powder and mix it in.
Thaw the pastry sheets then cut them into four.  Spread a heaped teaspoon of the mushroom mixture over each side of the steak and place on the pastry square, then cover with another square and press down all around the steak to make a parcel, crimp with a fork to seal, cut off the excess pastry to make a neat parcel and brush with melted butter.  Put a sage leaf on each parcel, pressing down to make them stick.
Bake in a preheated 220C (200 fan forced) for fifteen minutes or until the pastry is puffed up, then reduce the heat to 180C (160C fan forced).
Cook a bit longer if you like your steak well done, the above temps give a medium steak, just the way we like it.






3 comments:

  1. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm a bit confused....don't take much ;0)
    Is that a microwave oven, a convection oven orrrrrr???
    What can us state side people use for a gravy powder in place of Gravox?
    Day .... ammmmmmmmmmmmmm these look so YUMMY!
    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Pat dear, it's meant to be a normal oven, I didn't put the word "oven" in there.
    Don't you have gravy powder there? How do you make gravy when you don't do it from scratch? I will have to check into that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have gravy powder, oh my you made me hungry for the first time in weeks(months?)!! Can I come live with you I don't eat much!

    ReplyDelete

Kind comments and questions are welcome.